For the creature power, see Roadrunner Power.
|This article doesn’t have a gallery!
It needs pictures! When this Wild Kratts episode is shown the next time on TV, do screenshots while the episode is shown!
"Roadrunner" sometimes styled as "Road Runner", is the seventeenth episode of Season Two of PBS Kids' Wild Kratts. It was written and directed by Martin Kratt. It is the fifty-seventh episode overall, and premiered on August 22, 2013.
Martin and Chris are trying to catch an elusive lizard while Koki, having just completed an inventory, declares that they have to go to a town to get supplies. But Martin and Chris still haven't seen so many of the reptiles that live in the Sonoran desert. The bros beg for some time to investigate a particular lizard, which gets snatched up by a roadrunner. The bros secretly beg Aviva to come and make a roadrunner disc to use before Koki is ready to leave. Aviva is only able to make one roadrunner disc, so the brothers take turns with road runner powers, ultimately using road runners powers to discover the identity of the mystery lizard. Martin got caught by a Gila monster before he activated his suit so he cannot speak once Koki and Jimmy wrapped Martin for first aid, thinking he was poisoned. Chris and Aviva help out to find the identity once Koki locked the Tortuga and they leave the Sonoran Desert, but discover the identity of the mystery lizard before leaving.
Back at the Tortuga, Koki is doing a supply count and realizes that the Tortuga needs to get resupplied. Later, the Kratt brothers come back, and they beg Koki to let them stay. Koki agrees and gives them half an hour.
After another failed attempt to identify the mystery lizard, the Kratt brothers discover a roadrunner. Impressed by its running abilities, the Kratt brothers contact Aviva and they convince her to take along her Mobile Invention Kit so that she can make roadrunner powers for them, and that way they can easily track down the mystery lizard. She quickly arrives at the Kratts' location. But Koki calls and she says their half hour is up. To buy more time, Martin throws Chris into a cactus. After explaining that it would take a long time for Chris to get all the spines out, Koki gives them another half hour. Later, Chris gets all of his spines pulled out, Martin names the roadrunner Speed Limit, but Aviva finishes only one roadrunner disc. Not willing to have a single disc erased, the Kratt brothers argue. But since Martin pushed Chris onto a cactus, Chris gets the roadrunner disc, and Martin instead chooses his rattlesnake disc.
Later, Chris finds a roadrunner, and with his Creature Pod's projector, Chris gets the roadrunner to come to him. He activates Roadrunner Powers, and begins searching for a mystery lizard.
Not far away, Martin sneaks up to rattlesnake, grabs its shed skin, and activates Rattlesnake Powers.
Chris finds a mystery lizard, and is chased and then captured by a coyote. Chris deactivates in time. Roadrunners find and attack Martin, so he deactivates. Chris then gives Martin the roadrunner disc and Martin activates the powers, running around afterwards.
Koki calls, but she is mad because Aviva programmed them a disc. Martin then finds a Gila monster, thinking it is a mystery lizard. Martin deactivates, but the Gila monster bites him in the foot. Koki sounds the Tortuga's alarm, and she and Jimmy wrap Martin in gauze and take him back to the Tortuga, even though Martin says the Gila monster did not bite through the boot. Chris reactivates Roadrunner Powers and he takes Aviva to the Tortuga. They arrive in time before Koki gives an anti-venom shot. Koki, now realizing that the Kratt brothers are all in the Tortuga, initiates lock-down and engages flight mode. Luckily for the Kratt brothers, Chris is able to get his hands on the mystery lizard-a collared lizard. The team then has to turn around and release the lizard back into the wild.
- Martin Kratt (cast) as Martin Kratt (character)
- Chris Kratt (cast) as Chris Kratt (character)
- Athena Karkanis as Aviva Corcovado
- Heather Bambrick as Koki
- Jonathan Malen as Jimmy Z
- Greater roadrunner (adults) (called Roadrunner)
- Desert collared lizard (called Collared lizard)
- Western diamondback rattlesnake
- Gila monster
- Gila woodpecker
- Mourning dove
- Cactus wren
- Spiny lizard (called Spiny lizard)
- Desert grassland whiptail lizard (called Whiptail lizard)
- Common side-blotched lizard
- Gila monster
- To run fast, a roadrunner uses sprinting legs and a flattened-out upper body, which makes it more aerodynamic.
- A roadrunner uses its speed to outmaneuver predators and catch fast moving prey.
- When Chris mentions that he heard from somewhere that roadrunner's are too fast for coyotes, he was making a reference to the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons from Looney Tunes. Martin then tells Chris that in real life, coyotes can catch roadrunner's.
- Several references were shown at the beginning of the episode when the Kratt brothers chased after the mystery lizard, including the classic falling off the cliff scene.
- Another reference was when Chris and Martin attempt to reach the other side of a gorge using a slingshot to launch them to it, which obviously failed.